Monday, October 18, 2010

A Halloween Retrospective

Yes, we all know it's that time of year...even though the stores are shoving Christmas down our throats already, in a little less than two weeks we will don our best costume and strut up and down the street, jack-o-lantern bag in tow, ringing door bells and saying "Trick or Treat". Well, you might be doing that. I'll be having a BABY!

I got to reminiscing about the Halloweens we've celebrated with our son. When he was born we lived in Iowa and they celebrate "Beggar's Night." Same as Halloween, only a day earlier and the kids are supposed to tell you a joke before receiving candy. (And boy, did we hear some doosies!) Our block was known for really awesome Halloween candy...and EVERYONE dressed up, adults included. They even bussed kids in to the neighborhood. I loved this! I really miss this celebration. We had good weather the 2 years we celebrated Halloween on Ashby Avenue. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case in recent years. (Sorry Des Moines friends!)

This year we're unsure how Trick or Treating will go down. Isaac will be with my parents while we're in the hospital. I hope he makes an appearance there in costume...perhaps the OB nurses will appreciate a Trick or Treator in their ward.

Officials have set Halloween for Saturday the 30th in our small community. We were out of town last year to see if we had many door-ringers. And Isaac didn't particularly enjoy going door to door; he was more interested in handing out the candy. But now that candy is like gold around here, he just might get the hang of it, and FAST!


This is the little nugget just about 2 months old. We handed out bananas in honor of our little monkey that year. Surprisingly, some kids actually preferred the bananas over the candy!


Our second Halloween, I made this postal uniform and delivery truck. He had a yucky stomach virus that year and didn't do much Trick or Treating..but he got plenty of goodies from Mother's Day Out and our close neighbors. (Wouldn't you want THAT smile to bring your mail?!)

Last year, he was a Smore's. I must have a thing with cardboard...or recycling...because I used it again! I think right before I took this pic he did his first EYE ROLL directed at MOM!


This year I found a Thomas the Tank Engine costume, new in the package, for $3.00. I couldn't pass it up. My craftier side was struggling, but I'm happy I didn't take on the task of making a costume this year. I don't have pictures yet, but I will soon.


What are your kids dressing up as? Are you dressing up this year? What's your favorite Halloween activity?

3 comments:

Ludwig said...

Cheap Newport Cigarettes are one of the most famous brands of cigarette. Marlboro is evolved from its London factory on the Marlborough Street after which it is named. Largest manufacturing plants of Marlboro are Virginia and Richmond now. Newport Cigarettes come with filters but at that time the filtered cigarettes were considered as less harmful and so preferred by women mostly and the unfiltered cigarettes were for men and were known as men cigarette.

< ICE > said...

cute....:)

carpetclean12 said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.



PLease visit on these hypertext keywords also:-- housecleaning gadsden| housecleaning Huntsville | cleaning service birmingham | tile cleaning huntsville | carpet cleaning birmingham